Tuesday 6 April 2010

Hope and Grace's fairies


The children wanted me to show them how to draw fairies so I gave them a quick lesson! This is Hope's version with her long thin body. Isn't it fun? Yesterday I photocopied the drawing and made a tracing of it onto watercolour paper....


I used free machine embroidery to sew around the outline.....got the stitches too close together around her eye and managed to pluck it clean out!!!! I have yet to repair it...


Next, I wet the watercolour paper and allowed acrylic inks to make a lovely washy background. I added bright pink to her dress and golden wings. (I shall post the finished picture another day. I can only upload 4 pics at a time from Picasa)

Note to self:

Do not use acrylic inks without wearing gloves the night before going to work as a nurse! I have spent all day appologising for my stained fingers

I tried something different with Grace's fairy tonight. I traced the design onto Bondaweb (wunderunder) ironed the shapes onto fabric, cut them out and then appliqued them onto a screen printed background. I wish I had reversed the design first but maybe I'll remember next time! I plan to add one of Hope's fairies to this too and then frame it for the girls. If I have the energy it would be fun to free machine embroider one of their stories around it. That will have to wait a while.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: