Saturday, 10 January 2009

Green Wellies

I have learnt something of great importance cannot machine stitch old green Hunter wellies. Worth mentioning it in case anyone reading this thinks it may be worth a try. Unless, of course, you are successful and want to share the secret of success with me! My Bernina managed to punch through the fabric-backed rubber and produced a huge tangle of threads at the back. My Elna (trusty old machine from the 1970's) flatly refused to puncture the surface.

I know you may be wondering why I should want to stitch my old green wellies but it is simple. They cost £49.00 18 months ago and both soles now leak so I cut the top off one and want to use it to make a scrapbook cover. I thought I'd try stitching a scrap piece first. I shall just have to do it by hand or punch holes in it and lace it up. We'll see. I will report back if I find an answer to the problem. After all, the wellies have cost me 75p a week so I need to get a bit more mileage out of them. They must earn their keep!

No comments: