Saturday 7 August 2010

Birthday Present for Claire..Mixed Media Girl

It is Claire's brthday soon and she is off on holiday on Tuesday and will be away for it so PANIC!!!! What shall I buy for her? Recently, she has fallen in love with a couple of small mixed media canvases inspired by Kelly Rae Roberts' work and so I decided to make her a HUGE one. I do hope she likes it!
First, I applied plenty of paper to the background using acrylic gel
I completely covered the canvas.....
Next I added some colour by rollering white emulsion all over it and then blue 'Golden' acrylic. I used shelf matting to stamp on some texture too
then stamped on more texture with bubble wrap.....and distressed the edges using stamps
Before I started the background, I sketched my picture onto the canvas so I was able to transfer the design onto the prepared background using graphite paper. BRILLIANT I thought!
Then time to colour in the dress and her skin...
and give her soft pink cheeks and give her pretty wings and dark hair....
I love hearts and often buy Claire heart shaped necklaces, so she had to have one too!
At this stage I was DREADING doing her face and left it till last!
I took a deep breath and tried to believe in myself.....and it worked! Mind you....I did think that she was looking up to her right but she ended up looking down to her left. How did that happen?!!!!!

I might add some lovely phrases to it but I shall let Claire have it plain first. She may prefer it that way
This is one of my tiny pictures that she has been hankering over which I did a year ago. Quite different!
I am amazed at how stopping nursing has allowed my creativity to flow freely again and allow me to paint. I have really enjoyed doing it....and hopefully this will be the first of many.

4 comments:

amy friend said...

so cool to see the process! and a beautiful result!

ShabbyChicShaz said...

Your painting is so beautiful I'm sure your friend will love it. Really good to see the stages you went through, thanks for sharing :)

Sandie said...

Thank you for sharing the process... it was lovely to see. Clare will be so hapy with the picture.

Altered Art Studio 9010 said...

Love this piece. Thanks for sharing the whole process, I may give it try this weekend!